Injury Update…

Hi all,

An injury update….

You might have spotted on the Sportstest Facebook page that six weeks ago I had a “disagreement” with a button lift whilst skiing.  The immediate damage was a dislocated shoulder and a helicopter ride off the mountain.  However, subsequently the position has turned out to be far worse!

 

I may be stupid, but somebody loves me!

 

On return to the UK I was still in a great deal of pain and followed up the injury.  The initial dislocation caused two fractures, and a large tear to the capsule.  In addition to that i have one large and many smaller fragments of bone now loose in the shoulder capsule.  The shoulder specialist I have consulted has recommended surgery to remove the bone fragment and repair the damage to the torn capsule.  I am currently waiting on a confirmed date, but I am told it is likely to be towards the end of June or early July.

To add insult to injury, due to being in a sling with restricted movement for 3 weeks to help the tendons and ligaments settle, I currently have a Frozen Shoulder (it’s rather painful and severely restricts my range of motion), and post operation the surgeon has suggested it will happen again, and I am unlikely to have full range of motion in my arm for 3 to 6 months!

 

What this means for you….

My ability to travel has been limited for the past weeks, and for the foreseeable future I need to be careful.  Therefore I propose:

  • To limit the majority of testing sessions to our West Midlands offices up until the surgery date (I do intend to travel to visit my Nigerian clients at the end of May for a week, and will possibly also fit in a visit to Jersey), but doing days with long hours behind the wheel of the car, and numerous clients in one day is not going to happen until at least October.
  •  Until my surgery date is confirmed I will be testing as normal, but I will be restricted to seeing only one or two athletes per working day.
  •  Following surgery, I will look to take 4-6 weeks away from testing, to allow the best possible healing, and give me time to work on rehab.  At this stage, I suspect I will return to being able to offer a reduced testing schedule from early September.
  •  London and other travelling visits are only likely to resume around October time (sorry!)
  • Obviously at the moment timings are still up in the air, and I have been told I will get about 4 weeks notice of the surgery date, so I will update you all as soon as I know more.
  •  This will have no impact on those athletes who are being coached, or would like coaching, normal service will continue.

 

I can only apologise for the inconvenience this may cause you, and I will do all I can to support anyone who needs me over the summer period, but currently I can only offer a limited testing regimen.  So, if you were considering looking at booking a testing session over the next few months, please get in touch as soon as possible to confirm session dates.

I look forward to seeing you, and in the meantime, wish you a successful and safe season.

 

Garry